Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cleaning glue off wood floors. . . .

NOT FUN!
The bruises on my knees and the amount of pain in my legs and lower back will hopefully be worth the hours spent trying to clean these hard wood floors! I spent a good 6 hours Friday afternoon scraping {on my knees} ever inch of the office and hallway. A special 'thanks' to the super informative wood salesman who told my husband all he needed to clean the glue of the floors were these {super greasy} wipes. He made it sound easy. And a special 'thanks' to my husband for taking him completely serious and not worrying about dripped and spilled glue as he moved from room to room! {I guess I can't be too mad with babe, after all he did manage to lay about 1500 sq ft of wood floors} So I've been sucking it up, and with the help of some awesome family members we've made major headway in cleaning these floors {every single inch of them}.
To any one reading this and contemplating laying floors in your home, do yourself a favor as you lay the floors down and notice splotches of glue WIPE IT UP WHEN IT'S STILL WET!!! {Don't let it dry and sit for weeks} OOOPS
This is how the floors looked in the office before I started cleaning them Friday. Now granted this was a {SUPER} bad spot . . . But I wanted you all to truly understand what I meant by GLUE EVERYWHERE!!!



I used a 4 step process to cleaning these floors . . .
1. )Scaped endlessly with plastic spoon {hey it's what we had available at the house, and after multiple blisters on my fingers my M-I-L bought us some plastic square scrapers . . . MUCH BETTER}
2.) Todd bought some Urethane remover {after giving up on the greasy wipes} made by the same manufactures of the glue we used to lay the floors down. I thought this would help tremendously, WRONG. So after scraping the big pieces of dried glue up there is a white greasy residual left on the floors and this cleaner is supposed to help with that.
3.) You can't leave the Urethane on the floors for a long period of time so the next step was washing it off with soapy water {yellow bucket}, following by clean wet rag and lastly dried completely with towel.
4.) As if that wasn't enough, I then used my super AWESOME Bona Wood Cleaner {thanks to Todd's parents} to mop all the floors and finished with a coat a wood polish. Ahhhhh . Seriously this task is so repetitive and tedious it was enough to make me scream . . . But I kept it together. And the outcome is so WORTH the pain! :)


BEFORE
AFTER

1 comment: